Sri Lanka’s Premier Mercury-ACCA Inter-School Commerce Quiz was held on 22nd February 2017 from 3.00 pm onwards at Waters’ Edge Hotel. This event was supported by ACCA and Oxford Brookes University, UK as the Main Sponsors, and The Sunday Times – Education Times, Daily Mirror Education and ATOM as Media Partners, with Dino Corea as Quizmaster.
The Quiz consisted of 5 rounds – Accounting, Business Studies, Economics, World Business Affairs and General Knowledge, and encompassed the learning outcomes of the Local and London GCE Advanced Level examination syllabae.
Dinusha Weerawardane – Programme Manager at Mercury Institute said, “The objective of hosting this quiz was to prepare the A/L Commerce Stream students towards their examinations and give them that extra bit of knowledge and perspective to help them achieve better results. Their academic achievements would not end there; Mercury gives a guarantee of success in professional and academic higher education through the delivery of high-quality programmes such as the ACCA Professional Qualification and the UGC-Recognized BSc. (Hons) Applied Accounting Degree from Oxford Brookes University, UK…”
This Quiz saw the participation of 32 teams across 18 schools. Participating schools include: Ananda College, Anula Vidyalaya, Alethea International, Boys Model School -Malabe, Convent of Our Lady of Victories, Holy Family Convent – Bambalapitiya, Isipatha College, Khairiya Muslim Girls’ College, Methodist College, Muslim Ladies’ College, Nalanda College, OKI International School – Wattala, Rathnavali Balika Vidyalaya – Gampaha, Sanghamitta Balika Vidyalaya – Galle, St. Bridget’s Convent, St. Paul’s Girls’ School, St. Sebastian’s College and Visakha Vidyalaya.
The distinguished panel of dignitaries who comprised the judging panel was as follows:
- Adrian Perera (FCCA, FCMA, MBA (SRI J), FCMA (UK), AIB, FCPM, CGMA) – President of the ACCA Member Network Panel and Chief Operating Officer of equiCapital Investments Ltd.
- Sahad Mukthar (FCCA, ACGMA, BSc., PhD (reading)) – Director of Corporate Planning at Goodhope Asia Holdings Ltd. And Head of Professional Education at Mercury Institute of Management
- Geoffrey Heron (ACA, BSc. (Hons), PGCE) – Programme Lead of the BSc. Applied Accounting programme at Oxford Brookes University, UK
- Dinusha Weerawardane (ACCA, MSc., BSc. (Hons), LLB (Hons) Business Law, PhD (reading)) – Programme Manager at Mercury Institute of Management
- John Playle (FCCA, FAIA, PGCertEd) – Academic Conduct Officer and Chief Moderator of the BSc. Applied Accounting programme at Oxford Brookes University, UK
- Jehan Perinpanayagam (FCCA, FCMA) – Chief Executive Officer of Infomate Pvt. Ltd. and Vice President of the John Keells Group
- Hazir Shafeek (CIMA Passed Finalist, 2-time World Prizewinner) – Associate Operations Account Manager at RR Donnelley and Lecturer at Mercury Institute of Management
The 3 teams who emerged victorious as overall Champions, First Runners’ Up and Second Runners’ Up were awarded Challenge Shields, medals, cash awards and scholarships to follow the Oxford Brookes Degree Programme and/or ACCA at Mercury Institute. In addition to that, all participants also received participation certificates and scholarships.